Deputy Director – Nantucket Lightship Basket Museum
The Nantucket Lightship Basket Museum is currently recruiting for a year-round Deputy Director position on Nantucket, MA. In this hands-on role, you will be able to work on many functions associated with the operations of a small museum. The Deputy Director and Executive Director work closely on many aspects of museum operation, so the ability to work as part of a small team is essential.
Duties of the Deputy Director:
- Work with the Executive Director to stage an annually changing thematic exhibit that explores an avenue of history or design as it pertains to Nantucket lightship baskets. Responsibilities include establishing a theme for the upcoming exhibit, sourcing baskets, implementing intake and return procedures, setting up display cases, writing labels and other tasks as needed. Assist in research and collaborative exhibit script writing.
- Assist with the creation and implementation of education programs both at the museum and as outreach to the local schools.
- Assist with the scheduling and management of volunteers, including docents, interns and demonstration weavers.
- Maintain the collections and donor management database.
- Manage the membership program including renewals, new member acquisition and win back programs.
- Manage the museum’s year-round youth weaving program, including scheduling, registration, and promotion.
- Assist with the coordination, planning and implementation of fundraising events.
- Maintain a social media presence for the museum on the web.
- Manage the museum’s online gift shop including product promotions, new product introductions and order distribution.
- Update the museum’s website.
- Create marketing messages through Constant Contact and news/media outlets.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Must be a self-starter who can adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience with Photoshop, photography, and basic graphic design skills a plus.
- Experience working with the public and volunteers preferred.
If you are looking to expand your knowledge of museum management, this Deputy Director position could be the one for you! This is a unique opportunity to learn all facets of museum management and have a real and direct impact on this organization. If you think you are up for the challenge, submit your resume to email@example.com.